May 19th, 2023
Octave Bioscience is developing a suite of novel measurement tools that feed into structured analytical data models aimed at improving care management decisions to create better patient outcomes at lower costs. We are focusing our efforts on neurodegenerative diseases starting with multiple sclerosis (MS), to bring direct, positive impact to people’s lives. We have a CAP Accredited Laboratory and have developed a hybrid immunoassay-qPCR test for deployment as a Laboratory Developed Test.
The Research Associate (RA) will be responsible for supporting assay development processes and the daily operations of Octave’s R&D Lab. Primary duties will consist of running small volume immunoassays, prepping blood samples for analysis, performing maintenance on equipment, general laboratory, and administrative tasks while complying with all applicable local, state, and federal laboratory requirements. Secondarily, this role will also support the function and operation of the Clinical Lab. The work requires keeping meticulous and organized records, excellent attention to detail, effective written and verbal communication skills, the ability to multitask and be flexible with schedules, and working both independently and in a team environment to deliver high quality results in the most efficient manner. This role is on site in Menlo Park.
Under the supervision of the Associate Director – Lab Operations, the Research Associate will be responsible for:
● Receiving and accessioning samples.
● Preparing and aliquoting samples for testing.
● Planning, executing, and evaluating real-time PCR experiments.
● Performing complex small volume immunoassays using a variety of pipettes (including multi-channel) and automation equipment.
● Tracking shipments, samples, and assay steps using the laboratory information management system (LIMS).
● Performing routine laboratory maintenance tasks and setting up consumables in preparation for laboratory testing.
● Performing a variety of laboratory and administrative tasks to support the functions of the R&D laboratory.
● Participating in materials management activities including inventory tracking, ordering, receiving, unpacking, documentation and labeling of consumables and reagents, and stocking work areas.
● Complying with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations governing clinical laboratory operations including maintaining confidentiality of personal health information (PHI).
● Assisting with writing and maintaining SOPs, work instructions, and other controlled documentation to support R&D activities.
● Support clinical laboratory with routine maintenance, accessioning, and preparation of samples.
● Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
● Bachelor of Arts or Science in Life Sciences or related fields (preferred)
● Laboratory Experience: 2 years (preferred) including but not limited to specimen processing and assay development in a biotech/pharma/diagnostic laboratory.
● Expertise with standard and multiplex molecular biology techniques strongly preferred
● Familiarity with assay development, optimization, validation and troubleshooting.
● Strong attention to detail.
● Demonstrated proficiency in computer skills, such as word processing, data analysis and laboratory information systems (LIS/LIMS)
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Strong understanding of and adherence to good laboratory practices and regulatory compliance.
● Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner.
● Able to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality.
● Able to provide timely feedback to laboratory management on process improvements to ensure accuracy and efficiency.
At Octave, we believe in providing exceptional compensation packages for exceptional work. We are intentional about benchmarking our compensation against current market rates, and providing continued opportunity for advancement within the organization.
The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for any applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. At Octave, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case.
Salary range in Menlo Park, CA: Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location.
Base salary: $60,000/yr – $72,000/yr
Octave offers a balanced and flexible working environment. Our offices are located in Menlo Park, surrounded by life science innovators (e.g. Grail) and tech innovators (e.g. Meta). Our space is newly built to our specifications: open, with an old factory vibe, and is well-appointed, with free drinks and snacks. We offer a choice of health, dental, and vision plans. World class gym 100 feet away with pool. Close to many commute options.