Oct 24th, 2023
About the job
Medical Science Liaison Job Description
Octave Bioscience combines deep data with profound empathy to supercharge our comprehensive approach to improving outcomes in neurodegenerative diseases. Our team of data scientists, biologists, clinicians, and technologists are bringing their A-game to creating the next generation of clinical care solutions.
Using human-tech services, we partner with people with neurological diseases to understand and act upon the complexities and subtleties they deal with every day. Our platform of apps, sensors and wearables, cutting-edge imaging technologies, and novel biomarkers provide the data that feed into structured analytical models aimed at improving care management decisions to create better patient outcomes at lower costs.
We are looking for a highly motivated Medical Scientific Liaison (MSL) with a proven track record of successfully engaging neurology healthcare professionals, key opinion leaders (KOLs), and organizations. The MSL is responsible for cultivating current and future thought leaders in neurology in private practices and community and academic settings. The MSLs’ clinical practice insights and science knowledge will be utilized to deliver non-promotional scientific, educational, and research data and education activities. The Parkinson’s disease (PD) MSL will, in addition, leverage demonstrated scientific leadership in neurodegenerative diseases, to serve as a key architect of the Octave Evidence and Medical Affairs Strategy.
The position carries out field activities associated with bringing new Octave Bioscience products to the market and expanding the market for future offering. The MSL is responsible for developing creative and innovative strategies for addressing the specific needs of key customers and KOLs.
● Identify and develop relationships with KOLs, and build advocacy, based on balanced scientific exchange.
● Form strategic partnerships with key academic medical centers to advance development efforts in PD.
● With Medical Affairs and Scientific teams, develop and author publications and abstracts; coordinate efforts with external collaborators.
● Provide scientific support for the commercial functions of the organization, including providing scientific support to health care practitioners and training for speakers and sales force members as needed.
● Build a strong network of pertinent and relevant experts to obtain relevant advice, expert opinions, and collaborations.
● Manage, develop, and grow Medical Affairs activities and initiatives to achieve key medical objectives.
● Attend regional and national medical conferences to enhance company and product awareness.
● Represent Medical Affairs at scientific/medical symposia, congresses, industry councils, and internal meetings as requested.
● Deliver clear, concise, and relevant clinical/scientific presentations in a variety of settings, including but not limited to internal meetings, advisory boards, investigator meetings, payer discussions, academic/group practice/individual discussions, and other venues.
● Identify clinical insights and knowledge gaps and be able to articulate the impact and magnitude of Octave’s products.
● Proactively ensure collaboration and alignment with cross-functional teams, such as global market access and marketing departments, in order to optimize the medical component during strategic and tactical planning and execution.
● Execute on medical plans communicating technical and clinical data supporting new products or and/or new indications. Create a plan to identify early users that will provide meaningful clinical insights.
● Organize and run KOLs Advisory Board and engage KOLs in activities.
● Support development and management of conference presentations and other data dissemination activities as necessary.
● Support activities and initiatives related to outcomes research, disease registries, patient-reported outcome, and burden of illness studies.
● Document field activities to ensure integration with the overall strategies and goals in an appropriate and timely manner.
Desired Skills & Qualifications
● Advanced degree in medical science (MD, PharmD, PhD, NP or PA)
● Neurology experience required
● HIGHLY DESIRED: Extensive current relationships in Movement Disorders community and KOL peer status.
● Vision and initiative: Able to envision, catalyze, and build new business processes and infrastructure from the ground up.
● Ability to formulate and execute on medical plans communicating technical and clinical data supporting new products and/or new indications.
● Ability to create plans to identify early users that will provide meaningful clinical insights.
● Ability to create an environment that encourages innovative thinking and novel ideas to meet the needs of patients.
● Entrepreneurial: Thrives in a fast-paced, emerging company setting.
● Results-driven: Passionate about achieving and exceeding goals.
● Communication: Communicates effectively across all levels of the organization and provides updates to the executive team on a regular basis.
● Flexibility: Can adapt to changing direction as our market knowledge expands.
● Must uphold the highest standards of integrity and ethics and conduct all activities in compliance with legal/regulatory requirements and policies.
● Strong orientation toward the patient, customer service, and teamwork. Commitment and passion for improving patients’ lives.
● Proven ability to efficiently manage time and priorities and large volumes of work with minimal supervision.
● Proven ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with KOLs and to establish trust through the consistent demonstration of scientific expertise and satisfactory follow-through to requests from KOLs.
● Strong leadership skills and the ability to compile and disseminate information to others in a cohesive fashion to assure a clear understanding of project status and direction.
● Strong interpersonal skills and outstanding collaborative skills. Proven track record and success in building relationships and having scientific discourse with medical and scientific experts.
● Experience working with cross-functional internal teams, as well as patients, researchers, clinicians and other stakeholders.
● History of success in organizing and running Advisory Board meetings.
● Demonstrated success with project management.
● Attention to detail.
● Outstanding oral presentation skills.
● Highly developed written skills with the ability to produce internal and external documents for presentations, technical briefs, and scientific publications.
● Ability to elicit and answer clinical questions in groups ranging from individuals to larger didactic round tables and meetings.
● Ability to travel 50% of the time, both internationally and domestically, with overnight stays in a large territory as part of a small team.
Octave offers a balanced and flexible working environment. Our offices are located in Menlo Park, surrounded by life science innovators (e.g. Grail) and tech innovators (e.g Facebook). Our space is newly built to our specifications: open, with an old factory vibe, and is well-appointed, with free drinks and snacks. We offer a choice of health, dental, and vision plans. World class gym 100 feet away with a pool. Close to many commute options, including a free shuttle service with many convenient routes. We also offer lunch once a week at the office that you can pre-select from a large menu.
At Octave, we believe in providing exceptional compensation packages for exceptional work. We are intentional about benchmarking our compensation against current market rates, and providing continued opportunity for advancement within the organization.
The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for any applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. At Octave, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $170,000 to $220,000.
You may also be eligible to participate in a discretionary annual incentive program, subject to the rules governing the program, whereby an award, if any, depends on various factors, including, without limitation, individual and organizational performance. Please note that the compensation details listed in posting reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.