May 19th, 2023
Octave Bioscience is developing a suite of novel measurement tools that feed into structured analytical data models aimed at improving care management decisions to create better patient outcomes at lower costs. We are focusing our efforts on neurodegenerative disease, starting with multiple sclerosis (MS), to bring direct, positive impact to people’s lives. We have a CAP Accredited Laboratory and have developed a hybrid immunoassay-qPCR test for deployment as a Laboratory Developed Test.
The Clinical Laboratory Assistant (CLA) will be responsible for supporting Clinical Laboratory Scientists and Lab Management in the daily operations of Octave’s Clinical Lab. Primary duties will consist of sample receipt and accessioning into LIMS, data entry, customer service activities, prepping blood samples for analysis, performing maintenance on equipment, general laboratory and administrative tasks and complying with all applicable local, state, and federal laboratory requirements. The work requires keeping meticulous and organized records, excellent attention to detail, effective written and verbal communication skills, the ability to multitask and be flexible with schedules, and working both independently and in a team environment to deliver high quality results in the most efficient manner.
Under the supervision of a Clinical Laboratory Scientist, Clinical Laboratory Assistants will be responsible for:
- Receiving and accessioning samples.
- Data entry and quality check of patient and sample information in the laboratory information management system (LIMS).
- Prepare and aliquot samples for testing.
- Archiving and retrieving samples.
- Post-accessioning quality checks of data entry and received documents.
- Performing a variety of laboratory and administrative tasks to support the clinical laboratory staff in the CAP Accredited Octave Bioscience laboratory.
- Performing laboratory duties under direct and constant supervision of a licensed CLS or the General Supervisor and/or designee, who provides specific instruction regarding how tasks are to be completed and defines the steps to be performed.
- Perform routine laboratory maintenance tasks and setting up consumables in preparation for laboratory testing.
- Participate in materials management activities including inventory tracking, ordering, receiving, unpacking, documentation and labeling of consumables and reagents, and stocking work areas.
- Following established protocols and identifying issues that may affect assigned duties, correcting problems or escalating them as needed to a Clinical Laboratory Scientist, Clinical Laboratory Supervisors, or the Lab Director.
- Comply with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations governing clinical laboratory operations including maintaining confidentiality of personal health information (PHI).
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Life Sciences or related fields (Preferred)
- Laboratory Experience: 2 year (Preferred) including but not limited to customer service, specimen processing, and laboratory assisting in a hospital or reference laboratory setting.
- Experience with accurate data entry of sensitive information in a mid to high throughput setting.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer skills, such as word processing, data analysis and laboratory information systems (LIMS)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong understanding of and adherence to good laboratory practices and regulatory compliance.
- Ability to provide timely feedback to laboratory management on process improvements to ensure accuracy and efficiency.
Employment type: Full-time Tuesday to Saturday
The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for any applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. At Octave, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case.
Salary range in Menlo Park, CA: Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location.
Base salary: $56,000/yr – $72,000/yr
Octave offers a balanced and flexible working environment. Our offices are located in Menlo Park, surrounded by life science innovators (e.g. Grail) and tech innovators (e.g. Meta). Our space is newly built to our specifications: open, with an old factory vibe, and is well-appointed, with free drinks and snacks. We offer a choice of health, dental, and vision plans. World class gym 100 feet away with pool. Close to many commute options.