About the job
Octave Bioscience is developing a suite of novel measurement tools that feed into structured analytical data models aimed at improving care management decisions to create better patient outcomes at lower costs. We are focusing our efforts on neurodegenerative disease, starting with multiple sclerosis (MS), to bring direct, positive impact to people’s lives. We are delighted to be expanding our work to Parkinson’s Disease (PD) as the next neurodegenerative disease to tackle.
As a team, we constantly learn together and seek new solutions, operating in areas that are unknown. We share a common mission and build our flywheel from the diverse backgrounds of our collaborators.
To develop our quantitative capabilities, we are seeking a Systems/Computational Biologist to help deliver solutions across very diverse data sets. We are seeking a candidate with strong expertise in modeling of biological systems, pathophysiology, bioinformatics, and data analytics capabilities. The Systems/Computational Biologist will be primarily responsible for providing recommendations and delivering actionable insights for our proteomic biomarker program. The ideal candidate should have a strong background in biology coupled with statistical and machine learning expertise, as well as good collaboration, documentation and communication skills. Our mission requires constant iteration of the company’s approach to both biology and data science as well as passion to work in a regulated healthcare environment.
● Accountable for the development of biological models for neurodegenerative disease, specifically PD and MS
● Use software tools to build dynamic and interactive custom biology models, and draw actionable insights from bottom-up and top-down models
● Collaborate with data scientists, product leads, and investigators (internal and external) to design experiments and interpret results
● Validate biological models using large data sets.
● Develop and conduct research on the relationships between biological pathways involved in neurodegenerative diseases
● Preparation and presentation of journal manuscripts, research papers, posters, at scientific and academic conferences
● Familiarity with brain neurophysiology and modeling mammalian cells like neurons
● Familiarity with neurodegenerative disease pathophysiology
● Direct experience with coding in Python or R, and ability to use the scientific toolboxes
● Experience with analysis of large scale biological data sets
● Experience building biological models of complex systems
● Experience in modeling biochemical networks, especially at the cellular and protein level
● Experience interpreting biological systems and translating them to clear relationships of clinical outcomes for clinical and business stakeholders
● Self-driven and intellectually curious to solve challenging problems
● Collaborate with multiple teams (internally and externally)
● Strong team player willing to learn new platforms and tools
● Experience in visualization tools
● Experience with: Omics, Spatial Expression Profiling, Gene Set Enrichment, semi-automated literature/ontology curation
● Experience in using warehousing, data lake and big data tools (e. g., S3, Apache Spark, BigQuery, Hadoop)
● Experience interpreting biological statistics and translating them to clear relationships of clinical outcomes for clinical and business stakeholders
● Master of Science in Systems Biology, Computational Biology, or in a related science, technology, engineering, or pure/applied math discipline
● Experience and passion to work in a fast-paced agile environment and start-up
● Dedication and perseverance to find insights that would guide product development work
● Strong publication history in the systems biology space
● Experience working in the life science industry – therapeutic development, diagnostics, companion diagnostics
● PhD in Systems Biology, Computational Biology, or or in STEM Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
● Direct experience with compliance to ISO 13485, 62304, 27000, GDPR, HIPAA, CLIA, FDA 510K, SaaMD, 21 CFR part 11, or other industry related regulations/standards.
Octave offers a balanced and flexible working environment. Our offices are located in Menlo Park, surrounded by life science innovators (e.g. Grail) and tech innovators (e.g Facebook). Our space is newly built to our specifications: open, with an old factory vibe, and is well-appointed, with free drinks and snacks. We offer a choice of health, dental, and vision plans. World class gym 100 feet away with a pool. Close to many commute options, including a free shuttle service with many convenient routes. We also offer lunch once a week at the office that you can pre-select from a large menu.
At Octave, we believe in providing exceptional compensation packages for exceptional work. We are intentional about benchmarking our compensation against current market rates, and providing continued opportunity for advancement within the organization.
The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for any applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. At Octave, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $136,000-$170,000 per year base with a commission structure on top of that. Please note that the compensation details listed in posting reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Applicants and employees are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other protected Federal, State/Province or Local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.